Happy Valentine's Day!
Valentine’s Day is in honour of St. Valentine as a day for the exchange of valentines and other tokens of affection. How about you show affection to someone by asking them to be your workout partner starting this new month of February?
Studies show working out with a buddy, a friend, co-worker, or special someone can increase accountability, keep spirits high, and even spur better results.
Start off your workout by warming up together! You can walk outdoors or on the treadmills together for 10 minutes at a steady pace. Or if you want the extra challenge you can try five sets of the Sprint Intervals (run fast for 30 seconds, recover walking for 30 seconds, and repeat).
1) Round House Kicks (Lower Body Toning)
- Stand facing each other roughly 3 feet apart. Feet are hip width apart, knees are slightly bent, and core is tight.
- Partner A squats low while partner B brings right foot in toward left, then kicks right leg up and over A, finishing with feet wide.
- Partner B squats low while A kicks one leg over B.
50 kicks total/50 Squats total switching legs halfway through.
2) Partner Pistol Squat (Lower Body Toning)
- Stand facing each other, balancing on right leg with left leg extended low in front of body with foot flexed, holding on to partner’s right forearm.
- Bend right knee and sit back into hips, reaching left arm forward (continue holding on to partner’s forearm for balance), lowering as far down into a squat position as possible without lifting right heel off the floor. Return to starting position.
Reps: 15 reps on each side
3) Partner Push Up (Upper Body Toning)
- Partner A gets in plank position on hands and toes; Partner B stands behind Partner A and holds an ankle in each hand.
- Partner B bends over from hips, keeping arms straight, as Partner A bends elbows and lowers chest toward floor.
- As Partner A straightens arms, Partner B stands up, keeping knees and back straight.
Reps: 20 reps and then switch
4) Plank High-Fives (Abdominal Toning)
- Both partners set up in a strong plank position facing each other about two-three feet apart
- Both partners give a high five on the same side while lifting the opposite leg up
5) Pass the Ball (Abdominal Toning)
- Sit side by side to your partner in a V-Sit position (extra challenge with feet off the matt)
- Partner A picks up the medicine ball from their left side and passes it to Partner B. Partner B twists to tap the medicine ball on the opposite right side and then lifts it back to pass back to Partner A. This equals 1 repetition.
Reps: 15 repetitions
Way to go Partners A&B! You have completed your Partner Exercise Plan. Now do you think you can do it twice? There are two of you! Motivate and cheer for each other and you will absolutely complete the challenge feeling even stronger and better then before.
Our fitness blog post this week is brought to you by Emily Green. Emily is our Karma blog contributor and a Karma E-Commerce and Logistics Representative. She is a fitness instructor and loves the positive effects exercise can bring everyday to everyone. A great quote she believes in is, "You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change".
General Disclaimer: Karma Athletics blogs contain general wellness information. The information is not direct recommendation, and should not be treated as such. You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. If you have any specific questions about any medical matter you should consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.